Communications Officer (Web and Social Media Publisher)
Published: Thursday, Aug 8, 2013
St. Thomas University offers a dynamic and challenging work environment and invites applications for the full-time position of Communications Officer (Web and Social Media Publisher), Communications Department.
St. Thomas University is an undergraduate, liberal arts institution whose roots are in the faith and tradition of the Roman Catholic Church. With a full-time enrolment of 2,400, its students graduate with Bachelor of Arts, Applied Arts, Education, and Social Work degrees. The faculty members are distinguished teachers, researchers and scholars, and the university holds four Canada Research Chairs.
Reporting to the Director – Communications, the Communications Officer (Web and Social Media Publisher) provides communications services and support for web and social media development and publishing and undertakes tasks and project work related to the communications requirements of the University.
This position contributes to the mission of the University through the development and implementation of communications strategies related to web and social media. The position is required to work closely with other members of the Communications Department, as well as members of various administrative units.
Specific responsibilities for the role of Communications Officer include, but are not limited to:
The knowledge, skills, and experience required for this position include:
- Plans, implements and operates various web and social media projects.
- Refreshes web and social media content on the University’s suite of web and social media sites to ensure current and accurate content, images and presentation. While doing so applies quality control standards to the content and presentation.
- Manages media/social media monitoring and content leveraging tool.
- Responsible for managing day-to-day contact with external services providers for web and social media projects and operations.
- Stays abreast of web and social media trends in order to understand how to leverage them for effective communications to support the goals of the University.
- Works closely with Communications Department staff for the web and social media components of their tasks. Trains and advises University staff on the use of web and social media publishing tools.
- Assists in the organization of special events and performs other duties for the Communications Department and University as required.
Salary range: Category B, Level 5, $42,219 - $58,199
- A university degree preferably in journalism, communications, marketing or a related field, and/or an academic credential in communications, public relations or a field related to web development.
- Good verbal and written communication, planning, team and problem-solving skills, along with an aptitude for working in a creative environment.
- Personal initiative and the ability to organize, prioritize and complete work assignments independently and by the appropriate deadline in a fast-paced environment. This includes the ability to successfully balance completion of near-term assignments with progress on longer-term projects.
- Understanding of web-based communications and social media. Knowledge of the basic operational/end-user workings of web design and various communications software programs.
- Understanding of St. Thomas University’s mission, values and policies along with its academic and administrative structures and the St. Thomas University Strategic Plan 2013-2018.
Hours of work: Monday to Friday; 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM
The closing date for receipt of applications is August 16, 2013, or until the position is filled. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that their completed applications are received by this date. Please forward your cover letter, resume, and the names of three references to: Jason Scarbro, Director of Human Resources, St. Thomas University, Fredericton NB E3B 5G3 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Each applicant is asked to provide his/her contact information (preferably an email address) as it is normal practice for all applicants to be contacted when the hiring process is complete.
An equal opportunity employer, St. Thomas University is committed to employment equity for women, Aboriginal peoples, members of visible minority groups, and persons with disabilities. The university welcomes applications from all faiths and backgrounds. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.