Atlantic Human Rights Centre - "Taking Stock of Inclusion in the Education Sector: Where Have We Come From, Where Are We Going?" June 14-16
Published: Tuesday, May 15, 2012
June 14-16, 2012
Crowne Plaza Hotel, 659 Queen Street
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
The Atlantic Human Rights Centre—in conjunction with St. Thomas University in Fredericton, New Brunswick—will be hosting a conference entitled "Taking Stock of Inclusion in the Education Sector: Where Have We Come From, Where Are We Going."
Bringing together researchers; teachers; academics; undergraduate and graduate students; education administrators; NGOs; and government representatives from the regional, national, and international community, the conference will address inclusion issues as they as they relate to education in public schools (K-12), community colleges, and universities. The primary focus will be on the deconstruction and reconstruction of "inclusion" and how this concept interacts with human rights and citizenship responsibilities and obligations.
The conference begins at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, June 14 and ends at 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, June 16.
Conference Keynote Speakers
Concurrent Sessions and Panels
- Hon. Graydon Nicholas, LL.D., Lieutenant Governor of New Brunswick
- Wayne MacKay, C.M., LL.B. on “Inclusion, Bullying, and School Violence: Links, Myths, and Realities”
- Vianne Timmons, Ph.D. on “Yesterday’s Progress, Tomorrow’s Challenge: Fulfilling the Promise of Inclusive Education”
- Shawn Jennings, M.D. on “Reflections after a Brainstem Stroke”
- Rev. Brent Hawkes, C.M., D.Min. on “From the Inside Looking Out and from the Outside Looking In”
Pre-Conference Workshops June 14
- Legal View on Education
- International Perspectives on Inclusion in Education
- Human Rights Obligations of Inclusion in Education
- Inclusion for Indigenous Learners
- Accommodation for Persons with Disabilities and Mental Illness
- Socio-economic Inclusion
- Inclusion in Universities and Colleges
- Inclusion in Public Education
- Administration’s Role in Inclusion
- Pre-Conference Workshops
The Pre-Conference portion of the conference is a full-day of workshops on June 14, beginning at 9:00 am and ending at 6:00 pm.
Some of the themes addressed in the Pre-Conference Workshops will include:
- Professional Development Initiatives in Inclusive Education
- New Directions for Professional Education
- The Role of Administration in Building an Inclusive School Community
Our registration site is at https://www.eply.com/inclusionconference.
*note: ASL interpreter services will be available for all conference sessions.
Please direct any inquiries related to registration or local logistical arrangements to Marc Gionet via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 1-506-453-7203.
Click here for a stream of the event.