Rhodes Scholarships Application Process 2012 Now Underway
Published: Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012
The Rhodes Scholarship is a postgraduate award supporting exceptional students at the University of Oxford in England. The Rhodes is the oldest and perhaps the most prestigious international scholarship program in the world.
Eleven Canadians are selected each year to join a class of 84 Scholars from the United States, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Kenya, Zambia, Botswana, Lesotho, Namibia, Malawi, Swaziland, India, Bermuda, the Commonwealth Caribbean, Jamaica, Germany, Pakistan, and Hong Kong.
In recent years, St. Thomas University has had three students awarded Rhodes Scholarships. We are now beginning the application process for this year.
Intellectual excellence is required of Rhodes Scholars, but it is not enough to earn this outstanding educational opportunity - Cecil Rhodes emphasized in his will that he was not interested in "mere bookworms." His vision in founding the scholarship was to invest in and develop outstanding leaders who would be motivated to "fight the world's fight" - his rallying call for esteeming public service as one's highest aim. His will outlines four criteria to be used in the selection of scholars:
- literary and scholastic attainments
- energy to use one's talents to the full
- truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness and fellowship
- moral force of character and instincts to lead, and to take an interest in one's fellow beings
Eligibility is limited to Canadian citizen or a permanent resident (students who are attending a Canadian university on a visa are not eligible to apply) born between October 2, 1988 and October 1, 1994, and who have received an undergraduate degree before taking up the Scholarship.
By October 3, all application materials, including references, must be submitted to the internal selection committee. Materials should be submitted to Dr. Kim Fenwick, Dean - Faculty of Social Sciences in GMH 201.
By October 12, online application must be completed. Students will require an authorization code, which will be provided by Dr. Kim Fenwick upon request.
Please note that students need to ask their referees to submit reference letters to the internal selection committee via Dr. Fenwick (GMH 201) by the Oct. 4 deadline.
- A photocopy of an official birth certificate
- University transcript
- A list of activities and honours while attending University (including scholarships, prizes, awards, offices held, athletic record and extracurricular interests and activities) with dates.
- A letter of interest (900-word maximum) detailing the candidate’s general interests and activities, proposed course of study at Oxford, and future career plans.
- Six reference letters. At least three of the referees should be professors who have taught the candidate and at least four should comment upon the applicant’s academic preparation and scholastic achievements.
- A head and shoulders colour photograph of good quality
- Candidates who are chosen by the internal selection committee to proceed with the online application will be required to submit a medical certificate signed by a physician on a form that will be provided to successful applicants.
Please consult the Rhodes Canada website formore information: http://www.canadianrhodes.org/welcome
Please contact Dr. Kim Fenwick (email@example.com) if you have questions.