HousingDining ServicesFAQsApplyPhoto AlbumHealth & WellbeingStudents with DisabilitiesFeesParentsForms & DocumentsConference Services

Residence FAQs

What should I bring with me to residence?

All of our residence rooms are equipped with a desk, chair, bookshelf, bed, mattress, closet space, lighting, cable connection, wireless internet connection and a telephone with free long distance within Canada. Although we provide students with a furnished space, many bring items from home that will help personalize the area. Suggestions include: books, cds, posters, towels, toiletries, a mini-fridge, a small television, school supplies, sports equipment, a whiteboard, personal dishes and linen to furnish your bed.

If you do not want to take your bed linens from home, the University has partnered with Campus Linens of Canada to allow you to order linens online that will be shipped to your residence room and waiting for you when you arrive. To take advantage of this opportunity, visit http://www.campuslinenscanada.com/ and look for the St. Thomas section.

Please do not bring toasters or any appliances with an open element, candles or incense, pets (except for tropical fish), or a 2.4 GHz cordless telephone (which can interfere with the wireless internet).

What is the process if I want to change rooms?

To change rooms there is a process that we ask all students to follow in order to best serve the over 700 students we house. A room freeze is in place for the first three weeks of each semester to allow students an opportunity to settle in and allow for an inventory of spaces to be made optimizing student options if a room change is requested.

Firstly, it is important to discuss issues with your roommate. Often, problems can be resolved through open communication. If this is done with no success, contact your Residence Coordinator.  Schedule a time to meet with him/her to discuss the nature of your issue.  You can expect the Residence Coordinator to talk through different techniques on addressing potential roommate issues (i.e. mediation) before options about room changes are presented. Mediation must take place before a room change is considered.

If it is deemed necessary to make a room change the proper paperwork must be completed. The Residence Life Office will have a Room Change Request form that must be completed. If your request to change rooms is approved it must be submitted to the Residence Life Office (GMH 303). Opportunities to move rooms will vary depending on space and limitations. All room changes must be approved by the Residence Life Office and residents will be charged a $35.00 Room Change Fee (per person) for approved changes that take place during the academic year.

How do the meal plans work?

Our meal plans work on a declining balance system, similar to that of a debit card. Every time you purchase something at one of our three cafeterias (George Martin Dining Hall, Forest Hill Dining Hall, James Dunn Hall Tim Horton’s), your student ID is scanned at the cash register and your purchase is deducted from your meal credit.

We have 4 plans available to students. Meal Plan #1 is totalled at $2500/year, Meal Plan #2 at $2750/year and Meal Plan #3 at $3000/year. Meal Plan #4 is totalled at $2100 and is only available to returning students. In all plans, half of the total credit is given first semester, and half given second semester. Students pay for their meal plan along with their other fees at the Registrar’s Office.

Our cafeterias offer a wide variety of options to our students. Both the George Martin and Forest Hill Dining Halls have several dining stations to choose from, including Centre Stage where home-cooked meals are available, Grille Works which is a fast-food area, a deli that provides freshly made sandwiches, a soup & salad bar, a pizza corner, and a pasta station among many others. There are also many vegetarian and vegan options available to students as well.

If you have any special dietary needs or concerns, our executive chef can be contacted at (506) 460-0310 to discuss suitable alternatives to the regular menu items.

What is the process if I want to leave residence during the academic year?

When you sign the Residence Agreement and accept a residence placement, you are committing to remain in residence for the entirety of the academic year. If you decide to withdraw from residence during the academic year, you will still be financially responsible for residence and meal plan fees. You may not rent the room out to anyone else.

Students wishing to withdraw from residence must begin the process with a Residence Manager, located in George Martin Hall 303. The withdrawal is not effective until the Director of Student Services and Residence Life has approved the withdrawal request. The date of the withdrawal for the purpose of fee administration will be the date this approval is given, or the date the student has checked out of residence and returned their keys, whichever is later. The student's account will be adjusted to reflect residence as follows:

Month of withdrawal:

September: pay 40% of the full year cost

October: pay 50% of the full year cost

November: pay 60% of the full year cost

December: pay 70% of the full year cost

January: pay 80% of the full year cost

February: pay 90% of the full year cost

March: pay 100% of the full year cost

April: pay 100% of the full year cost

Students entering residence for only one term will have their accounts adjusted to reflect residence charges as follows:

Month of withdrawal:

September or January: pay 50% of term cost

October or February: pay 75% of term cost

November or March: pay 95% of term cost

December or April: pay 100% of term cost

In the case of a withdrawal, a student’s house dues and laundry fees will also be forfeited. Please note, this policy is only applicable to withdrawals taking place during the 2013-2014 academic year.


What are the costs of living in residence?

Rates for living at STU will vary based on the style of your building, type of room, as well as the selection of meal plan. Residents are required to have a full meal plan. Several different meal plan options are offered with varying price ranges. Rates will vary from year to year.

What happens if I lose my meal card ?

Notify the Food Services Office at (506) 460-0310 or e-mail foodservices@stu.ca as soon as possible. A stop will be put on the card and a temporary card will be issued.

Where do I go for additional information?

The Residence Life Office is open Monday-Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. The office is located at 51 Dineen Drive in George Martin Hall (office 303). For further information, you may contact the office at (506) 452-0578 during regular business hours.