All students contemplating either a Major or an Honours in Science and Technology Studies must obtain the approval of the Programme Director for their proposed course of studies before the end of their second year. Any and all subsequent changes to their course of studies must also have the approval of the Programme Director.
In addition to the requirements for a Major in STS, an Honours degree in STS requires a total of 57 credit hours (21 credit hours beyond the requiremtnes for a Major in STS). The details for an Honours in STS are as follows:
- all of the requirements for a Major in STS
- the following seminars:
6 credit hours in either Methods or Theory
STS 4006 Honours Thesis
- 3 credit hour Honours thesis seminar or workshop
- any 6 credit hour courses beyond the 2000-level that complement the student’s focus of study (as approved by the Director of STS)
36 credits hours are required for a Major in STS. These include required courses in the core theoretical concepts in the discipline of STS, and at least 6 credit hours in science. Students can then follow their own particular interests and complete the Major requirements drawing from a range of 2000- and 3000-level courses in STS and from courses in other disciplines, recognized as STS electives. The details are that the Major in STS must include:
- the following core STS courses:
at least 6 credit hours in science (selected from: STS 1503/1513 Principles of Biology I/II, STS 1613 Everyday Chemistry, or STS 1713 Science, Technology & the Earth)
a total of 9 credit hours selected from any 2000-level STS course (and which may include no more than 6 credit hours electives from ENG 2313, ENG 2393, ENVS 2023, SOC 2323, GRID 2206)
a total of 15 credit hours selected from any 3000-level STS course (and which may include no more than 6 credit hours electives selected from ECON 3323, ENVS 3013, HIST 3403, HIST 3423, POLS 3213, RELS 3513, RELS 3523, SOC 3523, SOC 3693)
- STS 1003. Science, Technology & Society I
- STS 2103. Science, Technology & Society II
- STS 3103. Science, Technology & Society III
18 credits hours are required for a Minor in STS. These must include:
- STS 1003. Science, Technology & Society I, and
- an additional 15 credit hours in STS courses at the 2000-3000 level (which may include no more than 6 credit hours from courses in other disciplines, recognized as STS electives. See list of non-STS courses under sections (iii) and (iv) of the requirements for Majors.)
St. Thomas offers courses in the Sciences. These courses can be taken either as science courses or as courses in Science and Technology Studies. Students ought to note that these courses are not deemed to be suitable prerequisites for upper level science courses at UNB.
Courses at the University of New Brunswick
The University of New Brunswick offers a number of courses in the Sciences and courses that fall under the description of Science and Technology Studies but are offered by departments such as history and sociology. St. Thomas students who wish to register for any of the courses described immediately above may do so only with the approval of the Director of Science and Technology Studies and the approval of the Registrar’s Office.
<back to Homepage>